New Jersey is home to some of the busiest roads in the nation. The high volume of drivers concentrated in a small area can lead to traffic jams, road rage, distracted driving, speeding, tailgating, and, of course, motor vehicle accidents. Car accidents are always frustrating. They cause property damage to your vehicle and can even leave you injured. What happens in New Jersey if you are involved in an auto accident with a vehicle that has no insurance?
In New Jersey, the law requires ALL drivers to carry automobile insurance. Despite the law requiring insurance in NJ, are many drivers who are uninsured:
- Some people break the law and drive without insurance
- Some drivers do not pay/renew their premium and the insurance policy is canceled
- The other vehicle was a “hit and run” vehicle and drove off after the accident
- You were involved an accident with a stolen car and there is no insurance coverage for stolen vehicles
- You were involved in an accident with a vehicle that had “dollar-a-day” coverage and there is no bodily injury insurance coverage
- The other vehicle had minimum coverage of $15,000 – which may be too little to compensate you for your personal injuries – known as underinsured.
New Jersey Claims for Accidents with Uninsured Drivers
How do you file a claim or settle your case if you are injured in a car crash with driver that was uninsured in NJ? New Jersey requires insurance companies to provide you with uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. Like all auto insurance policies, the minimum coverage for uninsured claims is $15,000 limit for one injured person; $30,000 limit for all injured people; and $5,000 for damage to your property in the accident. This means the uninsured or underinsured coverage under your own policy will kick in. This is also why you should never purchase the minimum coverage. If you purchase the lowest coverage amount, then the maximum you can recover if you are injured in a car accident with an uninsured driver is $15,000.
The uninsured coverage is to protect you and your family if you are involved in an accident with an uninsured driver. You should never purchase the minimum coverage amount. The insurance companies never tell you that the additional coverage up to $250,000 is only a few dollars more. In other words, for just a few dollars more, you can increase your uninsured coverage from $15,000 to $250,000.
How do you Make an Uninsured/Underinsured Claim in NJ?
If you or a family member were involved in a car accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver, what do you need to make a claim?
- You need your own insurance policy with uninsured motorist coverage
- You need establish the uninsured vehicle caused the accident
- You need to establish that you suffered an injury, property damage or other loss in the car accident
- Notify your insurance company immediately that you were involved in a car accident
How Much is a NJ Uninsured Motorist Case Worth?
From the beginning, your uninsured claim is limited to the coverage amount you purchased under your own policy. This is why you need to purchase as much uninsured coverage as possible under your insurance policy. The, the value of any accident claim depends on many different factors. These include the extent of the injuries suffered, pain and suffering, and economic expenses including lost wages, and medical bills.
At MyNJInjuryLawyer, Howard P. Lesnik has vast experience in handling numerous uninsured accident cases. This allows me to evaluate the value of your claim to obtain the fairest settlement or jury verdict. In claims of significant injuries, I hire medical experts, economic experts for lost and future wages, and functional capacity experts if you are no longer able to work due to your injuries. These experts prepare reports to calculate your damages for the insurance company or jury to advocate for your maximum compensation.
Why Hire My NJ Injury Lawyer Howard P. Lesnik
- I always offer a free strategy session with no obligation.
- I never charge a client a fee unless I recover cash settlement.
- I personally provide exclusive one on one devotion to each client.
- I handle all insurance communication, applications and forms at no charge.
- I have obtained countless successful verdicts and settlements for my clients
- My office provides accident investigation services, including obtaining police reports, ambulance reports, 911-calls, witness statements, surveillance video, and all medical reports and records.
- I will litigate your case. If your case cannot be settled with the insurance company, I will file a lawsuit for your accident claim. Most cases settle before trial. But I also look forward to presenting any claim before a jury if necessary.
- I have almost 20 years of experience handling New Jersey uninsured accident cases.
About My NJ Injury Lawyer Howard P. Lesnik
Howard Lesnik began practicing personal injury law in 2001, and is vastly skilled in uninsured and accident claims, including taking depositions, motion practice, and trial experience. Howard personally handles every injury case himself and does not farm them out to other attorneys or offices. I bring almost 20 years of experience, countless successful settlements and verdicts, and a drive to help NJ car accident victims get justice they deserve against enormous insurance companies.
Howard is extremely excited by his record of success stories both in and out of the court room. However, he is also honored about how his clients’ experiences with his firm. Howard has 100% positive reviews on Google, Martindale, AVVO and Lawyers.com. Howard is a member of the Ethics Committee and makes sure that all his clients get the attention they deserve and strives to make sure they are satisfied throughout the entire process.
If you or a loved one suffered an injury in a New Jersey from an uninsured driver, you should contact an attorney familiar with handling these claims. My NJ Injury Lawyer Howard P. Lesnik, Esq. offers free strategy sessions to address any issue or questions you may have about your injury, medical bills or your injury claim. I personally handle NJ personal injury cases on a regular basis. Please contact me now by email, by phoning 908.264.7701, or by completing the form to the right to schedule your complimentary 30-minute strategy session.