If you have had an accident in Freehold, NJ, you will need to obtain a crash report for your car insurance and personal injury attorney. This guide will help you when requesting your accident report from the Freehold Police Department.
Accident Crash Reports
For accidents involving a fatality
If the crash involved a fatality, request a crash report by completing an OPRA form at https://www.njta.com/forms-public-records/opra-form, where you will be given the choice of how you want the crash report sent to you, by US mail, email, fax, or picked up.
If you also need a copy of the Crash Investigative Report, complete the form at Records request for all reports and digital media at https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/CrashReports/Search/DetailDiscovery?type=all
Serious/Fatal Investigation reports are not public records, and as such require a subpoena signed by an officer of the court or an order issued by a judge. The form provides prompts to upload the subpoena or court order.
Note that Crash Investigation Reports are only retained for six years.
For accidents that do not involve a fatality
You must request a copy from the Freehold Police Department either in person, by mail, or online.
- In Person – Any member of the public that wishes to pick up a police report may go in person to the Freehold, NJ Police Department Records Division located at 36 Jackson Street Freehold, NJ 07728. Monday through Friday from 8:30am-4:30pm, except on holidays.
- Mail – Accident reports can be sent by mail, upon receipt of a self-addressed stamped envelope with a $5.00 check or money order made payable to the Freehold Borough Police Dept.
- Online – Visit the CrashDocs website.
Information Needed to Locate an Accident Report
You will need to provide some or all of the following information:
- Your name or names of other drivers involved,
- Your permanent physical address,
- Your phone number, and
- The date and location of the accident.
To get a copy of the accident report online, you also need the report number which you can obtain from the officer responding to your crash.
The following fees are charged for your Freehold accident report.
- In person – $0.05 per page
- Mail – $5.00 check or money order made payable to the Freehold Borough Police Dept.
- Online – $5 per report
Please allow 5-7 business days when obtaining a report from Carfax (crashdocs.org), and 3-5 business days for in person pick-up. You may contact police records by phone to verify that a report is ready prior to in person pick-up.
Freehold Borough Police Department
36 Jackson Street, Freehold, NJ 07728
Please contact NJ Injury Lawyer Howard Lesnik, Esq., immediately if you were involved in a car accident and were injured or suffered damages. I personally handle NJ personal injury cases on a regular basis. Please contact me now by email, by phoning 908.264.7701, or by completing the form to the right to schedule your complimentary 30-minute strategy session.