If you have had an accident on either the Garden State Parkway, New Jersey Turnpike, or Route 80, you will need to obtain a crash report for your car insurance and personal injury attorney. This guide will help you when requesting your accident report from the NJ State police.

crash reportFor accidents involving a fatality

If the crash involved a fatality, request a crash report by completing an OPRA form at https://www.njta.com/forms-public-records/opra-form, where you will be given the choice of how you want the crash report sent to you, by US mail, email, fax, or picked up.

If you also need a copy of the Crash Investigative Report, complete the form at Records request for all reports and digital media at https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/CrashReports/Search/DetailDiscovery?type=all
Serious/Fatal Investigation reports are not public records, and as such require a subpoena signed by an officer of the court or an order issued by a judge. The form provides prompts to upload the subpoena or court order.

Note that Crash Investigation Reports are only retained for six years.

crash reportAlso, if the accident occurred on the Atlantic City Expressway, the report is obtained by a written request to the Atlantic City Expressway Authority P.O. Box 389 Hammonton, NJ 08037 Telephone: (609) 965-7200 ext. 108 instead.

Crash Investigation Report are only available once the report is completed and approved. If the Crash Investigation Report search returns as not yet available, you will need search again in a few days to give time for the report to be completed.

To request records for printed photographs only complete the form at https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/CrashReports/Search/DetailDiscovery?type=photos

For accidents that do not involve a fatality

Non-fatal crash reports are public records and can be downloaded by completing the online from at https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/CrashReports/Search/SelectReportsRequest


Depending on where the accident occurred, the following fees are charged. Payment can be made through eithercrash report Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express credit or debit cards.

  • Non-Toll Road Crash Reports: $13.00.
  • Toll Road Crash Reports: $5.00.
  • Serious/Fatal Investigation Reports, digital media, photographs and statements: $20.00
  • Photographic prints cost $5.00 each up to 10 prints and $3.00 for each print after.

When are reports available?

When the Roadways Crash Report is ready for delivery, you will receive an email with instructions on how to download it. Important: The Report is available for download for only 14 days from the date of delivery, do not delay in downloading the report.

If you requested the Report to be sent by US Mail, you will be sent an email when the records packet is mailed to the address provided. Allow 5-10 business days for the US mail delivery.

Requests for Serious/Fatal Crashes Records may take up to one month.

Information Needed to Locate an Accident Report

For accidents on Toll or non-toll roads, you will need either the Case Number, License Plate Number, Driving License Number and the date of the accident.

Who to Contact with Questions

For questions about non-toll road crash reports, and record requests for serious/fatal crash reports, contact the New Jersey State Police at 609-882-2000 ext. 2234.

For questions about New Jersey Turnpike and Garden State Parkway crash reports, Contact the New Jersey Turnpike Authority at 732-442-8600 ext. 2431, or by email to njsprecords@njsp.org. The official site for the NJ State Polic and NJ ZTurnpike Authority Crash Report Request site is https://www.njportal.com/njsp/crashreports/ .

Contact MyNJInjuryLawyer

If you or a loved one suffered an injury in a car accident, you should contact an attorney familiar with handling these claims. My NJ Injury Lawyer Howard P. Lesnik, Esq. offers free strategy sessions to address any issue or questions you may have about your injury, medical bills or your car accident claim.

Please contact NJ Injury Lawyer Howard Lesnik, Esq., immediately if you were involved in a car accident and were injured or suffered damages. I personally handle NJ personal injury cases on a regular basis. Please contact me now by email, by phoning 908.264.7701, or by completing the form to the right to schedule your complimentary 30-minute strategy session.

Guide - How to Choose an Attorney for your NJ Personal Injury Case