If you have had an accident in Elizabeth, NJ, you will need to obtain a crash report for your car insurance and personal injury attorney. This guide will help you when requesting your accident report from the Elizabeth Police Department.
Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) reports, 911 and police dispatch audio records, and police Body Worn Camera (BWC) video Requests
If you want to request Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) reports, 911 and police dispatch audio records, and police Body Worn Camera (BWC) video, download the Open Public Records Act (OPRA) Request form at https://northbrunswicknj.gov/resource_library/open-public-records-act-request-form/ , complete the form, and mail or email the completed form to:
City of Elizabeth
50 Winfield Scott Plaza
Elizabeth, NJ 07201
Your fees will depend on the amount of documentation requested:
Copies of letter size pages are $0.05 each; legal size pages are $0.07 each; ledger size pages are $0.13 each. Other materials such as CDs, DVDs, are charged at the actual cost of materials. Delivery or postage fees are charged, depending on the delivery type.
Accident Crash Reports
For accidents involving a fatality
If the crash involved a fatality, request a crash report by completing an OPRA form at https://www.njta.com/forms-public-records/opra-form, where you will be given the choice of how you want the crash report sent to you, by US mail, email, fax, or picked up.
If you also need a copy of the Crash Investigative Report, complete the form at Records request for all reports and digital media at https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/CrashReports/Search/DetailDiscovery?type=all
Serious/Fatal Investigation reports are not public records, and as such require a subpoena signed by an officer of the court or an order issued by a judge. The form provides prompts to upload the subpoena or court order.
Note that Crash Investigation Reports are only retained for six years.
For accidents that do not involve a fatality
You must request a copy from the Elizabeth Police Department either in person, by mail, or online.
- In Person – Any member of the public that wishes to pick up a police report may go in person to the Elizabeth, NJ Police Department Records Division located at 1 Police Plaza Elizabeth, New Jersey 07201. Monday through Friday from 8:00AM to 4:00 PM.
- Mail – Mail a letter requesting a copy to the following address: Elizabeth Police Department Records Division 1 Police Plaza Elizabeth, New Jersey 07201. You must also list a name and return address to ensure delivery.
- Online – Visit the CrashDocs website.
Information Needed to Locate an Accident Report
You will need to provide some or all of the following information:
- Your name or names of other drivers involved,
- Your permanent physical address,
- Your phone number, and
- The date and location of the accident.
To get a copy of the accident report online, you also need the report number which you can obtain from the officer responding to your crash.
The following fees are charged for your Elizabeth accident report.
- In person – free of charge
- Mail – $5 business check or money order made payable to the Elizabeth Police Department
- Online – free of charge
Please contact NJ Injury Lawyer Howard Lesnik, Esq., immediately if you were involved in a car accident and were injured or suffered damages. I personally handle NJ personal injury cases on a regular basis. Please contact me now by email, by phoning 908.264.7701, or by completing the form to the right to schedule your complimentary 30-minute strategy session.