If you have had an accident in Edison, NJ, you will need to obtain a crash report for your car insurance and personal injury attorney. This guide will help you when requesting your accident report from the Edison Police Department.
The primary mission of the Edison Central Records Bureau is to maintain and update all of the Division’s records and files, such as incident and motor vehicle accident reports.
Copies of Police reports are available five to seven working days after the incident under normal circumstances.
Copies of Accident/Crash Reports are available five to seven working days after the incident under normal circumstances. These can be picked up in Police Records for 5 cents a copy or for an additional fee by visiting Accident/Crash Report
There are certain restrictions precluding the release of some reports.
- OPRA requests must be filed with the Municipal Clerks Office. All police requests may be sent to PoliceOpra@edisonpd.org
Accident Crash Reports
For accidents involving a fatality
If the crash involved a fatality, request a crash report by completing an OPRA form where you will be given the choice of how you want the crash report sent to you, by US mail, email, fax, or picked up.
If you also need a copy of the Crash Investigative Report, complete the form at Records request for all reports and digital media at https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/CrashReports/Search/DetailDiscovery?type=all
Serious/Fatal Investigation reports are not public records, and as such require a subpoena signed by an officer of the court or an order issued by a judge. The form provides prompts to upload the subpoena or court order.
Note that Crash Investigation Reports are only retained for six years.
For accidents that do not involve a fatality
- In Person – Any member of the public that wishes to pick up a police report may go in person to the Edison Police Department Central Records Bureau located at 2nd Floor, Public Safety Wing – 100 Municipal Boulevard Edison, NJ 08817.
- Online – Accident reports are available online immediately following the completion and approval of the report. Some reports will be available the same day, but some may take longer if there are extenuating circumstances. Please visit Lexis/Nexis to see if your report is available.
Information Needed to Locate an Accident Report
1. Exact spelling of your name and date of birth, that you supplied to the Police Officer taking your report.
2. The date and time that the incident occurred.
3. The location of the incident.
4. The type of incident (example: car accident, theft, assault, etc.)
5. License plates of cars involved in motor vehicle accidents.
Edison, NJ Police Records Bureau
Please call the Central Records Bureau at 732-248-7452 with any questions you may have.
Captain Sal Filannino
Email Melissa Tango
Public Safety Wing
100 Municipal Boulevard
Edison, NJ 08817
Please contact NJ Injury Lawyer Howard Lesnik, Esq., immediately if you were involved in a car accident and were injured or suffered damages. I personally handle NJ personal injury cases on a regular basis. Please contact me now by email, by phoning 908.264.7701, or by completing the form to the right to schedule your complimentary 30-minute strategy session.