Dog bites can cause serious scars on anyone who is bitten and can even cause emotional and psychological scarring and damages. People who are attacked by dogs are not only left with scars from the vicious bites, but they can also suffer from emotional scarring and fear of all dogs. Even a bark from the smallest dog can trigger the memory of the traumatic attack from a dog bite.
A dog bite can happen to anyone, at anytime and without any notice. The size or breed of the dog doesn’t matter. Small, friendly, cute, and cuddly, or large, aggressive and anxious dogs – all can bite innocent people. Dogs can bite a person when it feels threatened, or when it is just playing. However, a dog’s sharp teeth and strong jaws can cause serious injuries from any bite. If you or a family member is injured from a dog bite, you need to immediately contact a NJ personal injury lawyer.
What Should you do if Bitten by a Dog in New Jersey?
- The first thing anyone should do is call 911 so that the police and animal control are notified. The police will make an incident report and document the information for the owner and address of the dog owner. Animal control can obtain vet records to see if the dog has been vaccinated for rabbis and other shots.
- Immediately seek medical attention for your dog bite injuries. You must report to a physician, urgent care or the emergency room. The bite wound must be cleaned out and sterilized as soon as possible.
- Consult with a plastic surgeon at the hospital or emergency room. A plastic surgeon is essential to limit the scarring from the dog bite. Dog bites that are not treated can become infected and leave scars that are uneven, jagged, discolored and painful.
- Take photographs of the dog bite. Photographs will show the wound caused by the dog bite and the initial injury. Photograph any stiches that were administered in the emergency room. Photograph the dog bite after the stiches are removed and document any scars that are left from the dog bite.
- Follow-up with your doctor after the dog bite. In addition to scarring, you may suffer from pain, numbness, loss of movement and “leather” and rough skin from the dog bite.
- Consult with New Jersey Injury Lawyer Howard P Lesnik after your dog bite. I make sure that you will not have to suffer the permanent pain, injury, scarring and disfigurement without adequate compensation for your dog bite injury. I have handled NJ dog bite cases for 20 years and have the experience and knowledge to represent you if you’ve suffered a dog bite in New Jersey.
What is the New Jersey Dog Bite Law?
Many states allow the dog a “get out of jail free card” and allow a dog one free bite. New Jersey does not have a one-bite rule. In NJ, the dog’s owner is responsible even if the dog has never bitten anyone ever before. If you are bitten by a dog in NJ – no matter how large or how small – you are entitled to compensation for your injuries. This makes New Jersey a “strict liability” dog-bite state. This means the dog-owner is responsible for your dog bite. It doesn’t matter whether the dog was tiny, a tea-cup, or a pit-bull, Great-Dane, Rottweiler, or other large dog.
Dog Bite Injuries
Dog bites can cause significant, permanent injuries, scarring, and even death, especially to young children and senior citizens. The inherent dangers and injuries from dog bites are extensive, and no matter what type of dog, it can cause the following injuries:
- Cuts, lacerations and bleeding
- Crushed, bruised and broken bones
- Scarring, which can be jagged, raised, uneven or discolored
- Puncture wounds
- Infections and Rabies
- Numbness, tingling and loss of sensation or movement
- Emotional and psychological scarring and fear of dogs/animals
How Much is My NJ Dog Bite Case Worth?
The value of any dog bite claim depends on many different factors. These include the extent of the injuries suffered, pain and suffering, scarring, loss of function, and economic expenses including lost wages, and medical bills. It also depends on the extent of the dog bite, permanent scarring, and pain and suffering from the dog bite. One of my clients testified that her dog bite from a friend’s large dog caused her to be afraid of her own, miniature 8 pound dog.
At MyNJInjuryLawyer, Howard P. Lesnik has vast experience in handling numerous dog bite cases. This allows me to evaluate the value of your claim to obtain the fairest settlement or jury verdict. In claims of significant injuries, I hire with medical experts, economic experts for lost and future wages, and functional capacity experts if you are no longer able to work due to your injuries. These experts prepare reports to calculate your damages for the insurance company or jury to advocate for your maximum compensation.
Why Hire My NJ Injury Lawyer Howard P. Lesnik
- I always offer a free strategy session with no obligation.
- I never charge a client a fee unless I recover cash settlement.
- I personally provide exclusive one on one devotion to each client.
- I handle all insurance communication, applications and forms at no charge.
- I have obtained countless successful verdicts and settlements for my clients
- My office provides accident investigation services, including obtaining police reports, ambulance reports, 911-calls, witness statements, surveillance video, and all medical reports and records.
- I will litigate your case. If your case cannot be settled with the insurance company, I will file a lawsuit for your accident claim. Most cases settle before trial. But I also look forward to presenting any claim before a jury if necessary.
- I have almost 20 years of experience handling New Jersey car accident cases.
About My NJ Injury Lawyer Howard P. Lesnik
Howard Lesnik began practicing personal injury law in 2001 and is vastly skilled in dog bite and accident claims, including taking depositions, motion practice, and trial experience. Howard personally handles every injury case himself and does not farm them out to other attorneys or offices. I bring almost 20 years of experience, countless successful settlements and verdicts, and a drive to help NJ dog bite victims get justice they deserve against enormous insurance companies.
Howard is extremely excited by his record of success stories both in and out of the court room. However, he is also honored about how his clients’ experiences with his firm. Howard has 100% positive reviews on Google, Martindale, AVVO and Lawyers.com. Howard is a member of the Ethics Committee and makes sure that all his clients get the attention they deserve and strives to make sure they are satisfied throughout the entire process.
If you or a loved one is attacked or bitten by a dog in New Jersey, you should contact an attorney familiar with handling these claims. My NJ Injury Lawyer Howard P. Lesnik, Esq. offers free strategy sessions to address any issue or questions you may have about filing a claim for a dog bite incident. Please contact NJ Injury Lawyer Howard Lesnik, Esq., immediately if you were attacked by a dog. I personally handle NJ personal injury dog bite cases on a regular basis. Please contact me now by email, by phoning 908.264.7701, or by completing the form to the right to schedule your complimentary 30-minute strategy session.