A criminal conviction cannot help your personal injury case, but an experienced New Jersey Injury Attorney can minimize the impact or even keep it out of the case all together! If you were a victim of someone else’s negligence and were injured, you need an attorney who specializes in the area of personal injury. Insurance companies will investigate all claims thoroughly and will spend as much money as possible in order to pay you as little as possible. Insurance companies spend money hand over fist in order to defend against claims. Their business model is to pay out as little as possible and drag out claims for as long as possible in order to discourage people from filing claims. In other words, they spend money to try to save money in the long run.
However, an experienced NJ personal injury lawyer knows that your criminal record has nothing to do with someone else’s negligence. If you were in an accident, your criminal record doesn’t mean that you deserve to be injured in an accident. Chances are, your record had absolutely nothing to do with your personal injury accident. Still, the insurance company will try to bring up any conviction.
How Does A Criminal Record Affect My Case
When you appear for your deposition or in court, you swear “to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.” What will an insurance defense attorney do with your criminal conviction:
- Attack your credibility. The defense will try to argue that you are not credible and should not be believed. This is called impeachment. Prior convictions can be used in New Jersey in civil cases from the purpose of affecting the credibility of any witness.
Can My Prior Record Be Used Against Me In My Personal Injury Claim
An experienced attorney may be able to keep your prior record out of your case.
- Convictions older than 10 years old are NOT admissible in court.
- Pending charges are NOT admissible in your personal injury claim.
- Municipal court cases are NOT admissible to discredit a witness’ credibility
- The other attorney can NOT bring up a conviction if there is certified copy of the conviction.
- Expunged cases are NOT admissible.
- Guilty pleas with a civil reservation are NOT admissible.
- Even if the conviction does not fall into any of the above categories, your attorney can keep the conviction out if it NOT relevant to your injury or accident case.
Why Hire My NJ Injury Lawyer Howard P. Lesnik
- I always offer a free strategy session with no obligation.
- I never charge a client a fee unless I recover cash settlement.
- I personally provide exclusive one on one devotion to each client.
- I handle all insurance communication, applications and forms at no charge.
- I have obtained countless successful verdicts and settlements for my clients.
- My office provides accident investigation services, including obtaining police reports, ambulance reports, 911-calls, witness statements, surveillance video, and all medical reports and records.
- I will litigate your case. If your case cannot be settled with the insurance company, I will file a lawsuit for your accident claim. Most cases settle before trial. But I also look forward to presenting any claim before a jury if necessary.
- I have almost 20 years of experience handling New Jersey accident cases.
About My NJ Injury Lawyer Howard P. Lesnik
Howard Lesnik began practicing personal injury law in 2001, and is vastly skilled in accident claims, including taking depositions, motion practice, and trial experience. Howard personally handles every accident case himself and does not farm them out to other attorneys or offices. He brings almost 20 years of experience, countless successful settlements and verdicts, and a drive to help NJ accident victims get justice they deserve against enormous insurance companies.
Howard is extremely excited by his record of success stories both in and out of the court room. However, he is also honored about how his clients’ experiences with his firm. Howard has 100% positive reviews on Google, Martindale, AVVO and Lawyers.com. Howard is a member of the Ethics Committee and makes sure that all his clients get the attention they deserve and strives to make sure they are satisfied throughout the entire process.
If you or a loved one suffered an injury in a New Jersey accident, you should contact an attorney familiar with handling these claims. My NJ Injury Lawyer Howard P. Lesnik, Esq. offers free strategy sessions to address any issue or questions you may have about your injury, medical bills or your accident claim.
Please contact NJ Injury Lawyer Howard Lesnik, Esq., immediately if you were involved in an accident and were injured or suffered damages. I personally handle NJ personal injury cases on a regular basis. Please contact me now by email, by phoning 908.264.7701, or by completing the form to the right to schedule your complimentary 30-minute strategy session.